- helpful vote
- The Secret History of the End of an Empire
- Written by: Alex von Tunzelmann
- Narrated by: Stephen Thorne
- Length: 14 hrs and 36 mins
At midnight on 15 August, 1947, India left the British Empire. This defining moment of world history had been brought about by a handful of people:Jawaharlal Nehru, the fiery Indian prime minister; Mohammed Ali Jinnah, leader of the new nation; and Louis and Edwina Mountbatten, despatched to get Britain out of India. Within hours of the midnight chimes, their dreams of freedom and democracy would turn to chaos, bloodshed and war.
- By Purnima Almel on 30-01-19
Perfect reading to know history of Indian Independence concisely. Very well narrated. Loved it thoroughly.
1 of 1 people found this review helpful