Get Your Free Audiobook

After 30 days, Audible is ₹199/mo. Cancel anytime.

OR

Publisher's Summary

The Coalition Years begins its journey in 1996 and explores the highs and lows that characterized 16 years of one of the most tumultuous periods in the nation’s political history. It is an insightful account of the larger governance phenomenon in India - coalition politics - as seen through the eyes of one of the chief architects of the post-Congress era of Indian politics. 

From the inexplicable defeat of the Congress in the 1996 general elections and the rise of regional parties like the TDP and the TMC, to the compelling factors that forced the Congress to withdraw support to the I. K. Gujral government and the singular ability of Sonia Gandhi to forge an alliance with diverse political parties that enabled the Congress to lead the coalitions of UPA I and II, Pranab Mukherjee was a keen observer and an active participant in the contemporary developments that reshaped the course of the country’s political, economic and social destiny. 

Beyond the challenges, complications and compulsions of coalition governments, this book is also a recollection of Mukherjee’s journey as the Cabinet Minister in the key ministries of defence, external affairs and finance, beginning from 2004. He recounts each of these events with candour - the pathbreaking meeting with Henry Kissinger in 2004 that altered the course of the Indo-US strategic partnership, his timely advice to Bangladesh Army Chief Moeen Ahmed in 2008 that led to the release of political prisoners there and the differing views with RBI Governor D. Subbarao on the structure of the FSDC. 

The third volume of Mukherjee’s autobiography is a sharp and candid account of his years at the helm. It offers the most authoritative account of contemporary Indian politics by one of the tallest leaders and statesmen of our generation.

©2017 Pranab Mukherjee (P)2018 Audible, Inc.

More from the same

What listeners say about The Coalition Years: 1996-2012

Average Customer Ratings
Overall
  • 3.5 out of 5 stars
  • 5 Stars
    2
  • 4 Stars
    5
  • 3 Stars
    2
  • 2 Stars
    2
  • 1 Stars
    0
Performance
  • 4 out of 5 stars
  • 5 Stars
    4
  • 4 Stars
    2
  • 3 Stars
    2
  • 2 Stars
    2
  • 1 Stars
    0
Story
  • 3.5 out of 5 stars
  • 5 Stars
    3
  • 4 Stars
    3
  • 3 Stars
    2
  • 2 Stars
    0
  • 1 Stars
    2

Reviews - Please select the tabs below to change the source of reviews.

Sort by:
Filter by:
  • Overall
    3 out of 5 stars
  • Performance
    3 out of 5 stars
  • Story
    3 out of 5 stars

An ok ok Book..

1: Not much useful for political science students
2: 40% book talks about coalition years and remaining 60% on eulogizing INC and it's supremo Sonia Gandhi.. so may be "Congress Years" would have been an apt title for this book.
Things I liked:
a: Episode when Pranab ji took stand against its party on Shankaracharya Jayendra Saraswati's illegal arrest on Diwali eve.
b: How well he managed Americans on the CTBT and NPT!

  • Overall
    5 out of 5 stars
  • Performance
    5 out of 5 stars
  • Story
    5 out of 5 stars

Learn compulsions & own convictions management

The book provides an insight of the political juggling, compulsions, methods of resolute, and fair intentions of a revered and master craftsman of the politics. For a regular man like me in the field of politics, this clears a lot of doubts, perceptions and teaches me the ways to manage and significance of being silent on specific things... Thanks for the author and his team who encouraged him to pen.

Appreciations to the narrator too for keeping the flow intact, crisp pronunciation and lively soft audible experience.

  • Overall
    2 out of 5 stars
  • Performance
    2 out of 5 stars
  • Story
    1 out of 5 stars

not a good account

it does not give lot of insights on inner working of party of government also noylt have a good details from President office