A gripping collection of outstanding American classic short stories by some of America's greatest writers.
- 'A Ghost Story' by Mark Twain
- 'Pomegranate Seed' by Edith Wharton
- 'Pigeons from Hell' by Robert E. Howard
- 'Pickman's Model' by H. P. Lovecraft
- 'The Adventure of the German Student' by Nathaniel Hawthorne
- 'Absolute Zero' by Morgan Robertson
- 'The Ghost Club' by John Kendrick Bangs
- 'The Black Dog' by Stephen Crane
- 'Absolute Evil' by Julian Hawthorne
- 'The Baumoff Explosive' by William Hope Hodgson
- 'The Stranger' by Ambrose Bierce
- 'The Ransom of Red Chief' by O. Henry
- 'In the Forest of Villefore' by Robert E. Howard
- 'The Mystery of the Steel Room' by Thomas W. Hanshew
- 'A Child of the Rain' by Elia W. Peattie
- 'The Last Leaf' by O. Henry
- 'Cool Air' by H. P. Lovecraft
- 'The Revolt of Mother' by Mary Wilkins-Freeman
- 'Kerfol' by Edith Wharton
- 'Over the Border' by Morgan Robertson
Plus 20 more great classic American short stories.
What listeners say about Great American Short Stories
Reviews - Please select the tabs below to change the source of reviews.
- Wally s
her reading would be good...for 10 minutes
I feel like I am listening to campfire stories at a boy scout camp. That style of speaking for about 10 minutes. I am about 5 or 6 hours in to listening, and struggling to continue. I no longer listen every day, as when I was working and travelling 45 minutes to 1.5 hours each way a day. So I don't know how long it will take to finish. I do have to listen to this in shifts -- so I may forget what I heard before, because I might not listen for a couple of weeks.
1 person found this helpful
- Stanley Morton
A horror in every breathless moment ....
Would you try another book from the authors and/or Cathy Dobson?
No, while all of the authors are enticing, Dobson's performance, however, is not.
What did you like best about this story?
Silent pauses without her dramatics. Gave my ears a rest.
How could the performance have been better?
.... even in the performance! Dobson was stretched beyond her limits.
Was Great American Short Stories worth the listening time?
7 people found this helpful
- Amazon Customer
Great American Short Stories
Hard to follow the story lines. I have listened to other audible books that l liked a lot more than this one.