Raconteurs Audio and Spoken Realms team up once again to bring this second collection of short stories by H. G. Wells to audio. Written between 1894 and 1902, this anthology of 13 stories delves into botany, flying machines, travel, distant lands and customs, virology, magic, taxidermy, journalism - and there’s even a ghost story.
The collection contains:
- “The Dream of Armageddon” - read by Greg Wagland
- “The Sea Raiders” - read by Nigel Patterson
- “In the Avu Observatory” - read by Malk Williams
- “The Plattner Story” - read by Liam Gerrard
- “The Stolen Bacillus” - read by Tim Bruce
- “Aepyornis Island” - read by James Gillies
- “The Purple Pileus” - read by Helen Lloyd
- “The Flowering of a Strange Orchid” - read by Greg Wagland
- “The Moth” - read by Nigel Patterson
- “The Crystal Egg” - read by Malk Williams
- “The Triumphs of a Taxidermist” - read by Liam Gerrard
- “The Obliterated Man” - read by Tim Bruce
- “The Story of the Inexperienced Ghost” - read by James Gillies
Warning: “Aepyornis Island” includes words that, though in common usage at the time, may now cause offense.
What listeners say about Short Stories: Volume Two
Reviews - Please select the tabs below to change the source of reviews.
- Dan Marsh
I love HG Wells, but these were not his greatest works. Some stories just seemed to stop. l don't know whether it was the way it was written, or the narration.
- Fred Books
Fantastic follow up to Volume 1. A real treat!
A unique collection of HG Wells stories that I hadn't heard before. Enthralling, exciting, complex, riveting, all narrated with pin-prick exactitude by this wonderful collection of Britain's best audiobook narrators. A real treat for the ears.
I listened to Volume 1 and didn't think it could be followed up with anything near as wonderful. How wrong I was! Do yourself a favour and give it a listen!
1 person found this helpful