Getting divorced is almost never easy, but this practical, plain-English guide helps you get through the proceedings with a minimum of stress and expense. It shows you the latest changes in collaborative divorces, common law, and same-sex marriages, and even custody law - and how to work out the terms so you can begin building a fulfilling post-divorce life.
- Understand the divorce process - review the key issues and decisions, get your finances in order, and file the petition
- Decide whether divorce is the best option - weigh the pros and cons of separation, consider marriage counseling, and learn about annulments
- Put things in motion - initiate the proceedings, break the news to your spouse and children, and deal with your emotions
- Make important and difficult decisions - divide your assets and debts, make a case for spousal support, and get the best custody arrangement for your children
- Protect yourself - plan for life after divorce, safeguard your money, and take action if things turn unfriendly or dangerous
- Avoid a divorce trial - negotiate your own divorce, seek help from an attorney, and work with a mediator