Self-Directed Brain Change is based on a key emerging insight from neuroscience: that to keep our ancestors alive, the human brain evolved to stick to negative experiences like Velcro and shrug off the positive ones like Teflon. The good news, teaches Rick Hanson, is that we can retrain our neural structure out of "sheer survival" mode and into one of greater well-being, mental clarity, and moment-to-moment appreciation.
In this practice-focused program, Dr. Hanson teaches us how to:
- Shift our evolutionary fear and survival bias into one of "taking in the good"
- Use positive moments or states to rewire happiness as an enduring neural trait
- Heal difficult or painful emotional memories to "fill the hole in the heart"
- Increase and deepen daily experiences of love, gratitude, and contentment
- Build inner resilience in the face of stress and challenging situations, improve relationships, and much more
Is it possible to rewire yourself for happiness? A growing body of evidence from this pioneering neuropsychologist and his colleagues says yes, we can—and experience greater fulfillment and contentment the moment we begin. With Self-Directed Brain Change, you will learn how.
What members say
- Jean -Manchester
If you could sum up Self-Directed Brain Change in three words, what would they be?
What other book might you compare Self-Directed Brain Change to, and why?
Hardwired Happiness Rick Hanson
Which character – as performed by Rick Hanson PhD – was your favourite?
The narrator has a very calming and relaxed voice as he reads every chapter, in particular all the chapters about neuroscience.
Did you have an emotional reaction to this book? Did it make you laugh or cry?
Overall a brilliant book, the narrator has a very relaxed and calming voice. Would recommend for meditation purposes.
Any additional comments?
Would recommend for bed.
1 of 3 people found this review helpful